Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: My daughter wants to move from colorado to arizona (she is 17 with a baby) she lives in colorado with her dad

Her mom lives in arizona. Can she do this without her Dads consent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Technically, no. With less than a year until she becomes an adult, however, you could not get through the court process in time to do anything about it. You also must realize that the Court is going to give a lot of weight to the wishes of a 17 year old when making a determination. Unless there is some reason the mother's home is an inappropriate place for her, the Court might allow a change in custody regardless.

Unless you believe the daughter is in imminent danger of being abused, attempting to stop the relocation would probably be a lost cause.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.