Charlotte, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: My tickets are 21 years old. The reinstatement fee was 30 dollars back then. Does "another amount required" applies?

Under the new statue it states unless another amount is required. What does that mean exactly?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The reinstatement fee is more now and you will likely be required to pay the current reinstatement fee now what was in effect 21 years ago. However, the reinstatement fee is irrelevant until you have resolved the old tickets - as you will remain suspended until they are taken care of. Your best bet is to hire a traffic attorney in the area where you got the tickets. Often tickets that old can be dismissed or significantly reduced. If you are able to simply pay them off - what ever you end up doing, don't do that - as you will likely see a significant insurance increase and paying the tickets off could suspend you again. If the tickets do not end up getting dismissed, you can plan on paying a $200 Failure to Appear Penalty on top of what ever the costs and fine for each ticket is. As to the language of the statute - it is incredibly clear and means exactly what is says - the reinstatement fee is a set amount unless another amount is required. This means there are circumstances where you could end up having to pay either more or less than the normal set amount to be reinstated. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.