Decatur, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: I lived in my grandma's house for 34 years along with my 24 year old austitic brother and my mom my grandma passed away

Last December and when my parents got divorced the papers State that my mom can live in the house minus him back in August my dad and stepmom moved in and they've been trying to kick us out can they do that ? .y mom has been trying to find a new place to live with me and my brother to no avail I heard from a friend of mine that we can stay in the house until we find a place is that true I should also mention that my dad hasn't paid child support towards my brother I should also mention that me and my mom are also disabled

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There's a lot of information needed here to be able to properly answer. The documents from the divorce would need to be reviewed to see exactly what they say about who gets to own the house and who gets to live the house. If your mom is supposed to live it, then your dad would need to leave.

In Florida there is no child support for a child after the age of 18. If both you and your brother are disabled, then you and him (through a guardian) can seek child support from your dad. This is also something an attorney or a Legal Aid organization can help with.

This question was posted in a Florida group but it says your location is in the State of Georgia. You'll need to look for attorneys in Georgia to help because some of the information may be different.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.