Lawrence Township, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Construction Law for New Jersey

Q: A crack in the slab that was "fixed" 14 years ago. Now I have found the crack has grown possibly covering the entire hou

Can I sue the builders, even so, the guaranty was up to 10 years? The job was done by a third part contract with the builders and I think was incomplete or wrong done.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A real question is not whether you can file a complaint . The real question is do you have a real cause of action. Filing a frivolous law suit can result in penalties imposed. So before filing suit, a structural engineer should be consulted to determine what is causing your current problem. Whether the statute of repose (statute of limitations) has expired. This can also be an factor as to whether you can pursue a claim. Most important is also what are your chances of winning the law suit and what will be your ultimate costs to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.