Riverview, FL asked in Banking for Florida

Q: Son in prison gave me power of attorney to make & deposit in a bank account his stimulas checks. I been refused. Why?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unless the bank has a current account in your son's name they will not allow you to cash any checks in his name. Why?

Because just because the bank has seen your son's alleged POA does not mean they know who he is; nor do they know if the POA is valid; nor do they care.

If YOU have a bank account you might have better luck if you go to that bank--where they know you--and try to open a NEW account in your son's name--using the POA--and then deposit the government check into the new account. But you will not be able to withdraw the money--because it is not yours.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.