Fayetteville, NC asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: Can I withhold my rent from my landlord for a water leak? Which started 8days ago.

I identified the leak on 23 Jan, 24 jan woke up to no water for the first half of the AM. Contacted the property manager (PM) 25Jan and water dept. Water dept confirmed a leak. 25Jan let PM know there is a leak an my water pressure is very low . They schedule a plumber for 28Jan. They send someone out 26Jan only to reconfirm a leak an give me a tool to manually cut my water on and off outside. I inform the PM that's no fixing the fact my shower just drizzles out water as well as all the faucets in the house. So now I have to drive my son and I to my office to wash in the AM/PM(14miles one way).I ask what's the backup if the plumber cannot fix the issue 28Jan. PM messaged they will get back to me. It is 30 Jan and no one has contacted me. However in the maintenance que I see repair work scheduled for 02 Feb. I sent a message saying this is unacceptable an no response. So I have to continue to drive to my office to shower because I have an inadequate water source in this house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: In NC the duty to pay rent is separate from the landlord's duty to repair. You still need to pay rent, and you need to sue the landlord to get a reduced rate for the time the leak was present.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.