Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Can I relinquish provisional custody of my cousin?

I got provisional custody of my cousin that is 18 years old as of now. His father is dead and her mother is in the USA , he has a sister but its also in the USA.Also his mother was in a legal battle with his father for years ( she left the kid with his father when he was around 4 years old or 6 something like that) , I think its still on going is just that I was added to it after the last guardian tested positive for drugs and the court ordered him to get rehab and then he can take back custody( which he didnt do and I dont think he wont for money and transportation issues even if he is clean now , he still would need to present evidence of rehab which again wont happen) so , if I dont want the custody now ( for a number of reasons including my wife and I mental health and peace) how would I go about it? and I am not reconsidering , he is going out period.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

You may have to address these issues directly to the court. Right now you have physical custody. Since it was temporary. You can request for other guardians to take custody and responsibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.