Charlotte, NC asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: I am on disability and my parents are both deceased, how do I get my name on the deed since there wasn't a will?

I have been living in the home since 2009 and my daughter and I took care of them until they passed away my mom passed 11/2015 my dad 12/2015 and I just started receiving disability in the summer of 2016. I have been paying the property taxes but now they are saying I owe more money for 2016,2017,2018. The house is payed for!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: The former owner is deceased, so he cannot convey. Hire a competent attorney to search the title, determine heirship, and draft an Affidavit of Heirship to be recorded. That Affidavit becomes your recorded source of title. The taxes sound serious. Taxes are a lien against the land, and might be soon executed upon. Better work out a payment plan with your County Tax officials.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.