Old Bridge, NJ asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: My mother died. She was not married. I'm the only child. how do I get access to her bank account/financials?

Mother was a NC resident and died in NC. I am a NJ resident. I was told I need a letter of testimentary in order to gain access to her account. When I started to fill out the application for this letter, one of the questions it asks is the account balance of her bank account. I don't have this information. That's what I need the letter for.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Please be advised that I am not an attorney in North Carolina so I am unable to give you legal advice.

If your mother died in New Jersey I would tell you to contact the surrogate’s court in the county where your mom died and ask for assistance. Some surrogate courts have a website as well. The surrogate court in New Jersey is where you apply for letters testamentary. Though to do this, your mother must have a will. If she died without a will, in New Jersey you would apply for letters of administration.

You should contact a lawyer in North Carolina if you need assistance with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.