Fredericksburg, VA asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: The court will not modify my child support payments even with a -$20,000 change in income. Is this legal?

The custodial parent will not agree to a change in payments because obviously she wants more money. And the court won't modify it so that I can afford to pay? I am $18k behind in arrears you would think they would modify it so I can pay?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I assume this is a New York case even though you live in VA. The court will not modify if you lose your job or change jobs voluntarily. You need to prove your loss of income was no fault of your own. You should speak to a lawyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.