Wray, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: What can I do about my neighbors dog that been crapping in my lawn for a month?

I moved in my new place a month ago and my neighbors dog craps in my yard every day, I told them to stop before and nothing, so I called the cops and nothing, after it continued for a week after the first call I called again and this officer told me it’s not his problem and I need to go confront them myself( I have him saying this on video) so today a week after the second call I was in the kitchen and here he comes again so I recorded the dog and the owner telling me it’s not her dog after having watched her put it in her house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are usually municipal ordinances that cover this type of habitual behavior, which are usually handled by animal control or code enforcement. If you have am HOA they also probably regulate this. But you’ll need proof which means videotaping the act as many times as you can as well as (as gross as it may seem) saving the “evidence” for possible DNA confirmation. Some HOAs require DNA be submitted on file to catch inconsiderate owners who let their pets poop amd don’t pick it up.

I really DO NOT recommend confronting the owner. That sounds like s really easy way to get shot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.