Kansas City, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant, Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas

Q: Who has the legal rights to own the possessions of a deceased roommate if said roommate has no family?

My friends housemate passed away recently. They lived together for about 10 years in one house (owned by the living housemate) in Missouri. The deceased had no family at all that were living, except for one estranged brother who may be in prison, whereabouts unknown and no will made out. The deceased was big collector of toys and memorabilia to the point of hoarding. The deceased was in debt to his housemate a lot of money. Now, my friend has a house full of his toys and collectibles and wants to try and sell them to make back the money he is owed. Does he have the right to do this and if not, who do the possessions go to? And just for the record, they are both gay but not in a relationship. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Kansas attorney could advise best here, but your post remains open for four weeks. At this point, you might not want to lose more time waiting for a response in a different legal category, but this is something that attorneys in the Probate and Estate Planning categories would have the most insight about. There's no guarantee that every question is picked up, but you could repost there - or you could reach out to attorneys in those areas. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.