Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: How do I get my dog back from someone who denies having him?

My dog went missing 7 months ago and I've been looking for him ever since. Recently I received an anonymous note left in my mailbox which claimed that my dog was living in a house at a particular address in a city 80 miles away. I drove to the house with my mom and when I rang the doorbell, My mom and I heard my dog bark. I know my dog's bark like the back of my hand. A man answered the door and I told him about my missing dog and about the note I received claiming he was at this address. I told him that when I rang the doorbell both my mom and I heard my dog bark. The man told me that he doesn't have my dog and then angrily told me to leave his property. He then shut and locked the door. I rang the doorbell again but he didn't answer. We left his property. I told the police what happened but they said they'd need a search warrant to go inside the house but that what I told them isn't sufficient cause for the issuance of a warrant. What can I do to get my dog back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can try hiring a private investigator. Although not cheap, that could provide enough for the cops to act or for you to successfully sue this person. You could really use some video of them with your dog, where you are able to identify it as your dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.