Hershey, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I pay a ticket I never received?

I was in a bad accident a few years ago, it was my fault - I slid through a stop sign. I was taken by ambulance and never received a ticket nor was one mailed to me. Someone told me about a way to look up info on court cases and for kicks and giggles I checked my own data and lo and behold I have a citation from 2016 for going thru the stop sign. It is simply listed as though it is on hold, and shows that an attempt at mailing was made in 2016 but marked as not received (probably because I was in the hospital for awhile and I’m guessing it was returned undeliverable). There is a charge of $11.00 in fees that the docket says I owe but no fine listed. How do I take care of this? I’m a little freaked out because I’ve heard of people being arrested for unpaid tickets, etc

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Yardley, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact the court and see if you can plead not guilty as you will be assessed 3 points if you plead guilty and just pay the fine. Hire a lawyer to help you to hopefully get the ticket dismissed because they have to have the hearing within the statute of limitations. Since you are passed that date the ticket may be thrown out or reduced to one with no points. I would not recommend just paying the fine and tasking the points. Give an experienced traffic lawyer a call. Most of us give free consultations. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.