Mableton, GA asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Social Security for Georgia

Q: i am 17 and am filing for emancipation and i need advice

hey so first i have read all these questions and i have sou lawyers answers dont leave one like that for me OK.

ok so i am going to court against my mom because she is calling the cops on me saying i am a runaway but i have proof that i was home. she filed an ungovernable on me because i also filed a police report against her husband because when i was 14 she willingly gave him my social and stated using it opening up card which i have physically seen him with i just do not have proof my moms husband has hit me before when i was home alone asleep because he wanted me to go outside and cut the grass and rake the leaves but technically if he hasnt adopted me yet he has no legal right to touch me unless my mom is there giving him permission ok also another important thing is that my mom made me lie at the age of 13 to the person idk who stating that i was having nightmares and i was physically abused by my dad so there is now a restraing order on him plus i am work manager and pay bills

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Dear friend,

I was unable to identify any specific question that you have. It sounds like your teenage years have been quite difficult. As I don't have the full story, I highly recommend you seek advice from someone local that you can visit with in person and tell them your story.

Most attorneys will meet with you for 30 minutes to discuss your situation for free before they decide if they can help you. I also highly recommend you visit with a youth social worker in your city. There are people paid to counsel with you about abusive situations and give you options on how best to resolve the situation.

Emancipation may be your best option, but often there are other options you didn't even know about that may help you even more. If you don't know how to reach a counselor, you can call or visit the police or a courthouse. If you do a search for Juvenile Court and Juvenile court attorney, you should be able to reach people who will know where you can find a good counselor to help you make plans for the next couple of years.

Keep in mind that living on your own is a big step. If you aren't in danger of abuse or mistreatment at home, you may find a free bed is a huge benefit while you find a job and start building a savings account.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.