Craig, CO asked in Domestic Violence and Municipal Law for Colorado

Q: Can the cops have someones vehicles towed from my property if I have a restraining order agent them?

The restraining order was from domestic violence had a portection order and it was a lot of vehicles and a camper (all his belongings were in it) I was also being told by code enforcement that they (20 some vehicles) needed to be removed or they were going to condem my property for it being unsafe, half were junk and some were tagged but didn't even run. Cops did not want him near me or property because it was his 5th domestic violence charge and he couldnt do a stand by for them all in the time they give u or send someone over to haul them off cause of 3rd party contact. My exfiancee says that was illegal and he is going to sue because the cops had his camper and vehicles the ones in his name towed to the tow yard the rest were sent to scrap. I was in possession of all the tittles at time for everything that had a tittle not him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If the vehicle is his, then he has a right to it. Typically there should be some coordination from someone with regards to entry onto your property, if you own the property, to remove the vehicle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.