Rome, GA asked in Social Security for Georgia

Q: SS Adm. will not provide benefit (65 yrs) without proof that I completed my incarceration. What do I do?

I completed the sentence a year ago. I can't get anyone in the judicial system to provide documentation (origin copy) that I am not in a detention center. I am 65 years old and need the benefit. I don't know what to do.

I have asked prison representatives for the information and they will not provide the document.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: You can provide Social Security a copy of your prison release documents as proof you completed your incarceration. If you do not have the documents, contact the prison's representative to request the documents.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.