Plattsburgh, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: My ex giving kids beer and pot. Can I keep them with me until we go to court or is it violation? What do I do?!

I have pictures, videos, texts for proof from my daughters phone. He’s threatening me to try and give him the phone. My oldest daughter is petrified to go there as they don’t know how he will react for admitting to me that he provided alcohol and marijuana. I have videos going back to last summer as of now. I also have a text from her friend saying he gave them beer and got high with them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The order of visitation stays in place until it is changed. If you believe your children are in danger, then you can do what needs to be done to protect them. You will have to justify withholding the children to the judge. You should have a consultation with a local lawyer ASAP to discuss the facts and any orders in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.