Alexandria, VA asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: Feb. 25, 2013 I was operating my father-in-law's vehicle and was in an accident. I was unaware until after the accident

that he didn't have insurance on the vehicle. I was served with papers in August of 2017; I wrote out a statement and filed with the court stating that I wasn't aware of the vehicle being uninsured.After that I didn't receive any further communication in regard to this matter. In Sept. 2020 I got a letter from Ky Trans. saying my license had been revoked due to a civil judgement, and advised me to mail them my license and registration. Approximately 2-3 weeks later 2 Kentucky State Troopers showed up at my house to confiscate my license; even they said they had never heard of or done before. My question is on the legality of the whole situation such as: (1) I answered thier papers and never received further communication (2) It was 4 years after accident when filed in court (3) 3 years after said judgement before revocation of license. What recourse do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You need to hire a lawyer to investigate this. If you filed an answer with the court, there should not be a civil judgment against you. You may be able to go back in and have that judgment set aside depending on what actually happened. Bankruptcy could be another option for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.