Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How can I research a cops disciplinary record to challenge his credibility as a testifying witness

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Foley
Brian Foley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conroe, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Make a request under Article 39.14 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure that the District Attorney's office disclose any disciplinary records of officers that they intend to call as witnesses in the case. If you are working on the case pro se (meaning acting as your own lawyer) you should probably fix that as well. It is much more effective to have someone make your case for you. There is an old legal saying that the man who represents himself has a fool for a client. I'm a criminal lawyer and even I would hire another criminal lawyer to represent me if I were ever accused of a crime.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.