Greeley, CO asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I’m in dispute with 50/50 business partner had lawyer send letter to mediate or file lawsuit - he’s also my husband

I know this gets complex on both sides of business and what it means for my marriage - anyways I need business dispute to be addressed first and foremost but in response he filed for divorce which I’m told stops the business part from continuing! I fear this is again a tactic for him to avoid the issue - is there any way to have the business issue addressed outside of the divorce? We are 50/50 owners and our marriage/divorce should not relieve him from being held responsible for his direct actions towards company? Him breaching all his duties as a business partner has stopped my income and transferred all business transactions to himself so I can do nothing personally financially to even address a divorce? I’m just looking for all of my choices instead of hearing I have none and will just have to wait for courts to divide assets and debts and I need to figure out a new income which he will be entitled to half of?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. The divorce court will address property division regarding the business. There is a mandatory injunction which stops business activities that were not conducted previously during the marriage in the normal course of business. If there is a separate contract action pertaining to the business, you may be able to proceed with a separate contract action regarding any violations of a contractural agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.