Coldwater, MI asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan

Q: I live in Coldwater Michigan and I want to get my gun rights restored, but my convictions are in NJ & NY what to do?

Last conviction was April 29, 2004! Do I apply here in Coldwater Michigan or do I apply in NY & NJ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You would need to apply here in the court you were convicted in. That will restore your gun rights while you are in Michigan. However, if you want to purchase firearms from a dealer with a federal firearms license - including Cabelas, etc., - you will need to complete a similar process in NY, NJ, and any other state you have felonies. Only then will you get cleared through the NCIS check required to purchase firearms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.