Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Michigan Civil Rights Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Michigan on

Q: My Ex-wife and I that live together have been constantly harassed for 6yrs,online,public and want it to stop. How?

I divorced my 1st wife in 2012, married my current ex-wife in 2014 and my 1st ex and my daughter(18) keeps harassing in public, online, my own family now involved and all their friends. I have had cease and desist letters sent out, told them I don't want contact and they still do. Have posts all... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jul 25, 2019

The 'solution' would seem to be a personal protection order. Investigate that to determine if you have enough evidence to proceed with a local family law attorney.

That said, appreciate that a PPO is only a court order. If your ex continues to violate that order, it would require further...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Michigan on

Q: In Michigan, if a tennant damages a house, and it is sold as a loss, can they still be taken to court for the damages?

There is a lease to purchase contract stating tennant is responsible for all maintenance and repairs.

Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jul 24, 2019

Without seeing the actual lease AND the inventory/checklist forms and determining if all the documents comply with all applicable Michigan landlord/tenant laws, it is impossible to say what (if anything) a tenant may be responsible for.

IN GENERAL provided you have properly dotted your i's...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: How can I obtain a copy of court records about my son's case? Is there anything that can be done?

My son is serving time for CSC 2nd degree. At the alleged time of allegations he was 16. Jail until 17/18 then charged. His name is incorrect and date of birth on court records. He was charged as a minor (13/14) for CSC and record was closed. When he was arrested he was 16 years old and treated as... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jul 15, 2019

Contact the clerk's office

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Michigan on

Q: What to do when you're involved in hate crimes..Racially motivated..Neighbors destroying your property and stealing, etc

Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jul 15, 2019

If you are the victim of ANY crime you should contact the police and make a report.

If you are uncertain as to whether or not the activity is really criminal, or as to other details, then you should contact and hire an attorney BEFORE contacting the police. You may not want to involve the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Michigan on

Q: In an invasion of privacy where the Plaintiff gave the Defendant permission to do whatever with video, how do you defend

Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 10, 2019

Too many factors at play to give a good answer, but let me provide a framework for analysis:

If you're thinking along the lines of invasion of privacy, then it would seem that this video was taken in some place or of something where an expectation of privacy existed for the person in the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Michigan on

Q: I have mental health problems, can i use medical marijuana while on probation?

I am on probation in michigan usa for a DUI, but i have SERIOUS mental health problems including insomnia, depression, adhd, anxiety, bi-polar. I was reccomended i get my medical marijuana card, can i do that while on probation?

Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 23, 2019

You would first need to inquire with your probation officer, and then possibly have the judge's permission. Contrary to what many people believe, marijuana is not prescribed like a doctor may do for ordinary medication from a pharmacy. Because of that, judges don't have to allow you to use... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Michigan on

Q: How can I file a lawsuit against police for racial profiling and defamation of reputation?

Police do discrimination and racial profiling against me. They defame my reputation everywhere. I want to file a lawsuit against police for violating my constitutional and civil rights, and to bring my witnesses to the court to testify under the oath.

Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 26, 2019

Perhaps your first stop should be to the police department to make a formal complaint with that department's internal affairs. Your next stop could be to a civil rights attorney. Successful claims show a pattern of discrimination and profiling, and without substantial evidence of that, an attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and White Collar Crime for Michigan on

Q: Why doesn't the FBI assist with State CIVIL RICO complaints

Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2019

The FBI is a federal agency tasked with investigating and enforcing federal laws. Under our system of government, states are sovereign and can make, enforce, and investigate their own laws. The FBI has nothing to do with state law enforcement unless something becomes a federal issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: Ok...long story short My wife has been in jail 3 months waiting pre-trial for a awadw denied pastor

They wont say why no pastor visit after he been going in once a week for 3 months? Can they do this?

Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2019

This is, first and foremost, a jail issue. Has the jail provided any reason why your wife, specifically, is not receiving pastor visits? Has anyone tried to visit her? Some jails also distinguish between pre-trial and sentenced persons, with pre-trial detainees being limited to access to programs... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: Can a apartment complex ban smoking and vaping on the entire property when most of them are handicap?

The complex is going to make them go all the way to the sidewalk to smoke or vape... Not even going to be able to vape in the apartments. One person is even paralyzed from the chest down, and in bad weather, they will expect him to go to the sidewalk

Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2019

I am unaware of any law that creates an exception for persons with disabilities to smoke, nor is there a right to smoke. If the apartment complex bans smoking on the property for everyone, than I think they are well within their right to do so. It would be different if they said anyone can smoke in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: A cop called asked to come in for questioning.

I don’t want to but my mom told him she’d take I didn’t agree I’m 22 years old. Can I call and tell him no how do I do it without self incriminating

Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 8, 2019

Ordinarily you are under no obligation to go and talk with the police, regardless if your mom told them you would. Whether it's in your best interest to do so should be discussed in depth with an attorney before talking with the police.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Education Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: My public school is having a school sponsored dance but they are only allowing females to attend. Is this legal?

Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 9, 2019

Unless they are prohibiting the organization and sponsorship of a similar male-only dance, I'm not sure there is a violation here.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Michigan on

Q: I'm in the process of going to the Supreme Court over damages arising of legal malpractice the amount of my lawsuit I ne

Need to file superintending control I have all my documentation my investigative report against the attorney everything is done they said if all possible get help with citation with legal authority but I'm trying to get legal counsel as soon as possible if not I need to get this sent off they gave... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 26, 2018

You may be conflating the grievance process with a legal malpractice claim; they are two distinct things with completely different possible outcomes. If you are asking the Supreme Court for superintending control, that implies that you've filed a grievance with the Attorney Grievance Commission,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: what can be done about an inmate do about being assaulted by another inmate if they are totally disabled

the disabled inmate was to be transferred out the day before into another unit and when the assault occurred he was coming in from the yard and the other inmate assaulted him the day after he was suppose to be transferred out but was still in the same unit everything was recorded on video so they... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 12, 2018

When it comes to prison issues, there is very little you or I can do about anything that happens in there. The Michigan Department of Corrections has absolute control over what goes on, who gets transferred when and where, etc. There is a grievance process that prisoners MUST exhaust if they hope... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: i really feal that my rights have been violated and the whole reason behind this is because of first my car was stolen

My disabilities that i have i feal that these people took advantage of it between 2 companies I'm on soical security disability i feal that they used some of my disabilities for leverage please call me ill explain more to this story this just happened recently back in September of the 19th... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 16, 2018

Perhaps you can edit your question into separate sentences starting with a capital and ending with a period or a question mark. No one will call off this site

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Michigan on

Q: Mom took a phone away and won't give it back, and it was a gift to me?

My mom bought me a phone as a way of knowing where I am, but she caught me texting my grandma telling her thank for helping pay for my high school (senior)cap & gown stuff, so she took away the phone that was a gift and wont give it back because her new husband talks to her into not giving it back... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 15, 2018

Sounds like there is some family dynamic issues going on that you should discuss with your mom. Aside from that, your mom is well within her right to take the phone away. Her house, her rules. If you are 18, or something like this happens after you turn 18, you could take the phone, leave, and find... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Michigan on

Q: Is the severance offer fair and should I sign it under the circumstances of my release after 12 yrs employment.

It is not in line with another employees that I asked confidentially. They received one week for every year of service. I was only offered 4 for 12 years. There are many circumstances leading up to the company saying they accepted a resignation, I never gave and I repeatedly told them that.... Read more »

Marlo Bruch answered on Aug 27, 2018

I recommend that you contact an employment attorney in your area to go over the agreement before you sign. This forum is too general to give an appropriate response.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: I am under the age of 18 and I have a driver's permit but not a Driver's License can I purchase a car at a Dealership?

I have the money to buy the car. ALSO How would I get my License Plate?

Mark Bredow answered on Aug 22, 2018

it's unlikely that a car dealer will sell to you alone, without an adult, because minors may void a contract until their 18th birthday. But, if they do, the dealer will apply for the plate for you. You are not required to be a licensed driver to purchase a car, but you have to be licensed to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Michigan on

Q: If my dog is of leash and she approaches a person but does not touch or hurt them or their dog. Can they call the police

Can I get in trouble

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 18, 2018

Anyone can call the police. I think you left out facts like possibly the dog was snarling and acting in a way that seemed like it would attack.

Does "is of leash" mean "is off leash"?

If so many laws exist that dogs are required to be on a leash

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on

Q: How can this happen?? 26 yr old husband arrested on juvenile warrant

I'm going to put as much detail here as possible my 26 year old husband was arrested on a juvenile contempt warrant last night in St Clair county Michigan. We are so confused on what is going on and the police won't tell us anything except that the warrant is from 2012, but he has been in jail... Read more »

Jasmine D. Rippy answered on Aug 8, 2018

People are charged with contempt when they fail to comply with a court order. The court can give you info on exactly why he’s being charged with contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.