Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: I'm being Subpoenaed to the grand jury cause my girlfriend and me were In a heated argument and she pulled a knife out

And I spun around and the knife stabbed me but when police arrived at the house I stated that I fell down the steps and now they are pretty much making me testify against her which I don't wish to do cause it could land me in jail also I need an attorney to represent me in this matter so I can pled the fifth cause it could incriminate me

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You must appear as ordered by the subpoena. "Pleading the fifth" is a lot more complex than most people realize, and it's absolutely not the case where you can just go into a courtroom, say you're pleading the fifth, and just walk out while everyone shrugs their shoulders. If it were that easy, people would do it every day. First and foremost, you must have a legitimate concern that the answers your provide would lead to criminal prosecution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.