Goodyear, AZ asked in Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: Is there Legal action I can take to prevent my father from stopping me from seeing my grandmother?

I have a video of him starting an argument with me and intimidating her while he was drunk the last time I had visited her. She says that anytime I come over in the past he treats her horrible. He is very abusive and aggressive towards her. She is handicapped in a wheelchair and had her leg amputated. The only time I can see her is if I go to her church and visit her at church. He has caused a immense division in our family, much so that nobody will go and see her unless he is gone for the day including holidays. She is 84 years old and in poor health she may not have much longer to spend with her family including me. I just wanna be able to visit my grandmother while I can. He has no legal right to stop me. However his poor treatment towards her when I do has prevented me from visiting her. He has been physically abusive to me, my sister and, step siblings, his brothers and his 8 ex-wives.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If he is being abusive to your grandmother, you can make a report to adult protective services. If she is dependent upon him, there will need to be other family members willing to step up and do the things she has been counting on him to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.