Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Indiana

Q: Indiana. I’m 16 and I got into a fight with a 20 year old on our property after he wouldn’t leave. Will I be in trouble?

My sisters ex came onto our property causing problems, him and his dad tried to jump my dad so I pushed the 20 year old away and he hit me so I defended myself. Will I be having any trouble and will he? The cops were called and it was sent into the prosecution office

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: It sounds like you have a good self defense case. It will be up to the prosecutor to review everything that was sent to him/her to make a charging decision.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.