Q: My kids were removed from my home 12/1/20 by CPS. I was assigned a free attorney. Should I get a paid attorney?

Is it worth my money (we are kinda poor, I'm disabled) to hire and pay for an attorney in lieu of using the free court appointed attorney? Asking because she's nice but not motivated at all, probably overworked. My caseworker has done ZERO since removing my kids. I thought I read Federal regulations and Nebraska state laws say the caseworker must provide me a case plan no more than 60 days after removal. She's done nothing. Meanwhile I already completed domestic violence class, parenting class, co-occurring evaluation, psych evaluation, therapy, med mgmt, and outpatient rehab. Literally was proactive and guessing at what they might require of me since caseworker has done nothing. Anyway I really can't afford it but my children are my world so if it's beneficial to have a paid attorney I'll do what I gotta do. Advice???

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Majority of court-appointed attorneys are very good. They often handle a lot of cases so they know what the judges find persuasive. Some may have large caseloads and may struggle to give each file as much attention as they otherwise would like. Sometimes you do get better results with hiring a private attorney that has more time to put towards your case. Since juvenile court cases usually involve many, many hearings, private counsel is often relatively expensive for these type of cases. If you are going to hire private counsel, you would want to make sure they are at least as experienced as the court-appointed attorney that you already have for free.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.