Woodbine, MD asked in Civil Litigation and Family Law for Maryland

Q: The groom cancelled wedding 50 days prior, can brides family sue to recover wedding cost due to his cancellation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Maryland abolished the causes of action known as breach of marriage and alienation of affections, and any similar action, three quarters of a century ago. The engagement ring must be returned if demanded, as that is considered a conditional gift, with the condition being going through with the marriage. If you incurred costs and expenses paying for things like the wedding venue, engraved invitations, etc., then the person paying or incurring those costs would have to show the groom agreed to be responsible for some part of those expenses in order to be able to claim contribution. Perhaps if the groom insisted on a certain venue, or specific invitations, etc., an argument might be made that he induced you or others to incur those expenses that you would not have incurred but for his requirements, but in most cases these expenses are incurred with no expectation of being reimbursed and are treated as gifts. Obviously, if he signed any of the contracts such as for the venue, he'd be liable on those. Other than that, there’s no basis for any lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.