Spring Park, MN asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: I got 'request for initial evidence' after I applied for I-485

I applied for marriage based green card last September after getting married to a US citizen.

I entered the country on 2018 with J1 visa and I in the process of changing my status from J1 to green card.

We had applied for K1 visa in March 2020 because I was planning to go back to my country.

But then I decided to stay so we just got married in last September and applied for I-485.

We tried to withdraw the K1 right after we applied for I-485 and sent a letter to USCIS

but it didn't work and we got a letter that said we should do it online or call them.

They gave us website but it just didn't work.... so we kind of forgot about it and thought it shouldn't be a big deal.

And we just got request for initial evidence letter that says

'submit evidence of your lawful admission as a k-1 visa holder'

I never left the country and didn't take the further steps to get the K1 visa and I already submitted all my J1 visa and DS2019 forms.

What should I do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Bailey
William Bailey
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bloomington, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You should hire an immigration attorney to help ensure you don’t make costly mistakes.

Ify Princess Ikeakanam agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.