Warsaw, IN asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandmother was guardian of my mentally ill adult cousin. My grandmother has since passed away. What happens now?

Since my grandmother died, his accounts have been frozen and his disability checks have stopped coming. He cannot take care of himself and since he has no money his health care coverage has lapsed. Now he cannot get the mental health medication that he needs. My parents, both in their 70's are taking care of him now, but this is not sustainable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings

First, You will have to write a letter with the case number to the agency (veterans or Social security) to make initial contact about the situation. To have that feedback, they will give you more clear options. The remedy will depend on the government agency. You may also have to start a legal guardianship process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.