Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law

Q: Can we use the IRS for damages caused by incompetence?

My wife (American) received a high paying job offer in the states. We currently live in Germany (I'm German), and have been trying to get an immigration visa for months now, but we need my wife's tax transcripts for that. We have requested the transcripts a dozen times(over the phone) since June last year, but they were never sent to us. With us unable to move, my wife missed the start date of the job (Jan 1st) and she already lost $20k in income because of the IRS's incompetence. We're expecting a baby later this year, and it won't be long before my wife is too pregnant to move.

The IRS has wasted so much time with the 2019 taxes, that the consulate now wants to see the 2020 tax transcripts as well. This is an endless cycle of waiting and losing $10k a month due to IRS negligence.

Can we use them for damages? This job would have been life changing for us and our child, and we are beyond furious.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nareshwar Singh Virdi
Nareshwar Singh Virdi
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: This question is not an immigration question. As far as filing a claim against a public entity, theoretically everything is possible. For more specific evaluation of your situation, please contact my office or any other competent attorney who does public entity claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.