Omaha, NE asked in Trademark and Traffic Tickets for Nebraska

Q: Expired Registration

If I got pulled over for expired registration & when I went to the courthouse to show proof of registration, they said that the cop never filed the ticket & that I didn’t have to do anything, not even show proof of registration. I didn’t have to go to my court date, will that still show up on an in depth background check, that includes my driving record? Similar situation, pulled over for expired registration. The cop told me that if I showed proof of registration within 10 days that it would be dismissed. I went in within 10 days, I didn’t have to pay the fine or go to the court date. I asked if it would go on my record and they said no, but I’m not sure if that means that it won’t show up on my background check. I went to the police station & have no criminal record. I got my driving record online & I don’t see anything on there, but I’m still nervous that it’s going to show up on my background check. Should I mention both of the incidents when filling out my background check info?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Generally dismissed charges aren't going to show on any criminal history or background report. Exceptions to this may be very high level security clearances. Even then, they aren't generally looking for things like renewing your registration a little bit late.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.