Richmond, KY asked in Adoption for Kentucky

Q: How easy is stepparent adoption if the bio-dad didn't sign the birth certificate

I live in KY . The father of my daughter didn't sign birth certificate, when I was pregnant he was abusive and I had a active DVO for 3 years . Has a criminal record and has never seen her or signed anything saying he was the father Would he be notified if my fiance adopted her ? Would he have to have give consent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes. He would have to be notified. If he does nothing, you win by default. If he opposes it, you have to gave a contested hearing and the judge will decide.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.