Decatur, AL asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Alabama

Q: Truck driver passed me in a completely ice and snow covered lane and the snow flying up busted my window.

The driver had already tried to pass once and backed out because the road was that bad and then a mile or 2 later tried again. As he passed the wave of slush and ice caused me and the car in front to have to completely stop because we couldn't see and my driver side window got busted. I contacted the trucking company and they said it's a road hazard and they won't pay to fix it. After a few conversations they said they would pay half. I'm only asking for $150, the cost to replace the window. Do I have any legal standing to take this to small claims court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter in many jurisdictions, you probably would. Check with the Small Claims Court, either through its online resources or contacting an administrative person at the courthouse as to the types of cases they allow. It could be worth considering the time it would cost as well, in terms of preparing a small folder, gathering any proof you have, and missing time from work or school. You could reach out to an Alabama attorney for the most meaningful state-specific recommendations. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.