Asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: I married an American citizen it’s been 2 years of marriage. My husband abandoned me, can I apply for green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ina Shtukar
Ina Shtukar
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Absolutely. You do need an attorney to guide you through this process as you might have to adjust your status as a "battered spouse." Physical abuse is not a requirement - it can be purely psychological in nature. Abandonment would fall under the category of "extreme cruelty." It is imperative that you act fast and have an attorney to represent you. I will be happy to advise you on the family law issues as well, as I do this routinely for my clients. I represent immigration clients in both NC and SC. I look forward to hearing from you!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.