Ripon, CA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: I live in California. Daughter is graduating high school in CA end of May 2021 and then turns 18 2nd week of June.

We are relocating day after high school gradation in May. Child turns 18 middle of June. Child support ends 18 or graduation in CA whichever comes 1st. We are relocating day after graduation. Can I file in Nebraska right when we get there for another child support order since Nebraska child support is in effect until age 19?? So, there would be one more year there. Or does child support stop even though we relocate to NE? It's so close on the timing wondering how that process would look if viable. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: When you register an out-of-state child support order in Nebraska, some rules from the original state still apply. This includes the "duration of the child support order." This means that the age of majority that automatically terminates child support from the original state still applies even if you move to Nebraska and ask to modify the child support order here. This is under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (Neb Rev Stat 42-746). There is also a case on this:

Wills v. Wills, 16 Neb. App. 559, 745 N.W.2d 924 (2008)

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.