Grand Haven, MI asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Michigan

Q: I'm trying to file my taxes and my ex husband and I disagree on tax credits and stimulus money. What do i do?

Divorce decree states: "Plaintiff shall claim the minor children as dependents for income tax deduction and child credit on any and all city, state and federal income taxes. The defendant will be allowed to "buy" the exemptions from the Plaintiff if he will benefit from the deductions and he can fully pay the Plaintiff her value of the entire deductions and credits. " -- I told him stimulus payments and refunds that happen later are a part of the "Value" of the tax credits. He wants to buy them and not pay me back the stimulus or additional credits that will be based on 2020 but have not been calculated yet. Legally, who is correct? What can I do to not lose this money? What will happen if I just file and claim them? Can he "force" me to sell him the exemptions for less than the value that I would receive if I claimed them myself? 3 kids, so this is a substantial amount of money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You're unlikely to find an answer to your question here, but if you contact your divorce lawyer you might get an answer. You might also contact a tax lawyer to make sure you're not running afoul of tax regs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.