Bloomfield, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: My uncle gave his parents money to buy a house. They passed away my mother lived in it until she passed away 12/2018.

My uncle want to become the sole owner of house. He has two other brothers who are not interested in the property.

The house is located in Vega Alta, Puerto Rico.

What steps do he have to take in order to put the house in his name?

Please help, everyone I ask say I need a lawyer from Puerto Rico. My uncle lives in New Jersey.

Desperately seeking help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: As the property in question is located in Puerto Rico, the answers to any questions concerning the property will be decided in accordance with the laws of Puerto Rico and not in accordance with NJ law. If the question is whether the giving of money was a valid gift and related questions a NJ attorney would be a good source of information especially if the lawyer is also a member of the Puerto Rico bar.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.