Dallas, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: the lady that was watching our dog won’t give him back. text messages show she agreed to watch him & now she blocked us

a friend of ours agreed to watch our dog while we were relocating. unfortunately we had a falling out and now she won’t give us our dog back and has blocked our numbers. he is not chipped or registered but the text messages between us show that she agreed to watch him and prove he is ours. there’s even messages of her asking for money for his food and we have those transaction receipts. we tried a civil standby with a police officer and she refused to give the dog back and made us leave the property since the officer didn’t have a warrant. is she allowed to literally hold our dog hostage? what can be done? we know taking her to court on a civil case would be very expensive.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You could try a small claims case to have the court declare ownership of the dog. Gather your evidence and talk to the clerk of the Justice of the Peace court in the precinct where your ex-friend lives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.