Jacksonville, FL asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Family Law and Elder Law for Florida

Q: Sibling dispute over a widow dad. What paperwork I file in order to be able to get our dad some time of the year?

My dad has 2 daughters from ex and 2 daughters from 1st marriage to my mom. Mom passed away 10yrs ago and he hasn’t remarried. He had a brain aneurysm and is on a wheelchair and can’t speak. He only says my name, aha & no. His other 2 daughters took him out of the nursing home we had him in, behind our backs and w/o warning. They took him to their house just to keep us from seeing him. We hadn’t talked in 3yrs and they now refuse to share our dad with us. My younger sister and I want to be able to care for him and have him at least half of the year. That way we can take care of him, spend time with him and for him to enjoy my children and watch them grow. he doesn’t have an appointed guardian. I would love to care for my dad, as I did my mom for the last 5 years of her life. I’m certain that if anyone asks him if he likes that plan, he’ll definitely say aha & shake his head yes; as I’ve always been the child he’s closest to. Please help! What are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Isn't it obvious? You write that "he doesn’t have an appointed guardian. " So file an application to be appointed guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.