San Diego, CA asked in Criminal Law and Products Liability for California

Q: Hello, my mom is filing false charges against me for an item I have not stolen. What can I do if and when she do so?

My mom had given me permission to enter her storage unit to tale out furniture. But is now accusing me of steal a bix of photos. And is now saying I also stoled from her house as well and if i don't come to her house by the end of this week, with said items. She will press charges against me. Problem is that one item she accused me of taking is in her storage unit and she never states what item I have taken from her house. So me going to her house will be a trap to harass me me further. But I have never been in trouble with the law and scared of being charged with theft. What can I do to prove my innocence and that her report is false. I know where her photos are in her ynit and she has the key to it. So there's no way I can show and prove it myself. She also been texting me non stop, with no response from me and she keeps texting me back threatening me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

what is your age? do you live with mom?

does she have mental issues?

maybe send a detailed explanation to her that you could present to a court if it comes to that. Explain she gave you permission and that the location of what she is looking for is in the locker etc.

however, I suspect police would possibly say it is a civil matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.