Bronx, NY asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for New York

Q: How does someone born in Puerto Rico but now lives in the states, correct a name change on their birth certificate?

My father was unofficially adopted by my grandparents in Puerto Rico in the 1950s, and when he was born they did not change his original last name to what should of been my adoptive grandfathers last name.

For all the time he has been in the United States (specifically NY for over 40 years) he has been going by the name that should of been corrected by my grandparents when he was born. Therefore, all his documents in the states have one name, but his original birth certificate has another. In order to receive his pension in 4 years, he needs to be able to prove that he is in fact the same person. Therefore, what does he need to do to have his original birth certificate name match all of his other documents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Based upon what you have said, to begin with the case would have to be done in PR as that is where he was born, however, since the "adoption" was unofficial it is unlikely that it can be done. What is probably a better option, is to bring an action for a name change back to the time he started using the new name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.