Schenectady, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: My landlord makes noise plays loud music smokes weed. Can i sue her for all rent my mom is ill and need peace and quiet?

Before moving to the apartment she told us no noise and she wants people who don't smoke drink loud parties etc. She also wants us to hang out with her and her family we said " no besides its covid19." We moved in because we desperately needed an apartment. Two weeks in she started making all this noise. I taped it. I told her about it she said" I told you before you moved here i have to play my music. I have to live."Everyday since she makes so much noise. Now my whole apartment stinks of weed. I told her she said" do you know where it's coming from." My mom got sick a month ago she came from hospital i told her she is home thinking she would have some heart. She still continues her noise. I want to sue her for all my rent for these three months so I can take it and find a better place. Is this possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Maybe. It would be better to have an attorney write a letter providing notice and withholding rent while you save. You have use and occupancy, so it will be hard to claw back any serious money. Definitely consult an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.