Petersburg, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Im going to be homeless because people will not leave my mobile home for me to live there.

My mother owned a mobile home in moneta, va. She passed away on December 5 of 2020. I have all legal documentation proving my control of her assets, her power of attorney and where the mobile home is titled in my name and my name only. The people residing in the mobile home paid my mother weekly before she passed. Upon notice of her passing these people verbally agreed to give me the rent for December and January knowing it was going to help pay for her cremation. I then got a text message refusing to pay me anything. Demanding to see all of my legal documentation. Which I have and am and have been prepared to show. But now they are refusing to meet with me or speak to me. In a couple days it will be March. And they will owe December, january. February, and March rent. They are not impacted by covid, please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You can file an Unlawful Detainer in Court and ask the Judge for an award of the rent arrearage and for possession. You may have to wait, however, to evict them, if they do not voluntarily move out, as a result of the CDC moratorium on evictions.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.