Alexandria, VA asked in Estate Planning for District of Columbia

Q: If you are the power of attorney for a family member and they pass away what should I do next in the Washington Dc area

In the state of Maryland they have a Will office in District Court but I can't find an office like that in Washington Dc

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Upon death, the power of attorney terminates and there is no authority to act on behalf of the decedent's assets. Only the Personal Representative of the Estate can act and access the estate assets, and then only for the purpose of administering the estate and distributing the assets to the heirs/legatees after satisfaction of any legitimate debts and administrative costs and duties. There is a Probate Division of the Superior Court for the District of Columbia.

Court Building A

515 Fifth Street, NW, Third Floor

Washington, DC 20001


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.