Fowlerville, MI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan

Q: can the father sign custody over 2 any1 he pleases with out the mothers consent if she is incarcerated he will b soon

dad has warrents mom is in prison im maternal gma what can i do 2 get them do i have rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You - or more accurately, the parents of these kids are in a pickle. Assuming Dad has established legal custody, he and the mother could consent to you being the guardian. That actually might be a really good idea for both of them, because if Dad goes to jail or prison, and Mom is already locked up, a petition could be filed seeking termination of their parental rights. But no, Dad cannot legally do this with Mom knowing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.