Elizabeth, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant and Identity Theft for New Jersey

Q: Hello. I receive ssd benefits. I am.60. My disability is mental. New landlord got my social security number(theft?)

My former landlord harrassed me tried to evict me. New owner is harrassing me got my ss number and dl number. Kept harrassing me. Did nit even contact other tenants. Singled me out. Im scared this is identity theft. What do i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I believe that the first step should be to notify Social Security Administration that the ID number has been breached, Further, advise SSA that you believe the number is being used without your permission, most likely for improper or illegal purposes.

If you believe the information was illegally or improperly obtained without your permission, then to to your local municipal police to file a complaint against the landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.