Boise, ID asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Texas

Q: I am looking for a Lawyer that is certified in both Idaho and Texas for child support and custody, Where should I start?

I recently got married and my husband has 2 children that live full time in Texas with their mother, he lives in Idaho currently. They originally had a custody agreement that gave him every second Saturday but since moving he has not been able to reach her at all to inquire about the kids or try and work out a better deal. We are trying to get a child custody lawyer that is certified in both Idaho and Texas to help us work out a fair custody arrangement that gives my husband the ability to see his kids again.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hello, thanks for your question and congratulations on the recent marriage! I am licensed in Texas, so I just want to state upfront that I am unsure of Idaho laws.

One important question to ask is where was the custody agreement signed/completed? From your comment, I would guess Idaho?

If so, I would reach out to a local Idaho family law attorney. It sounds like you are interested in filing a modification to modify that final order or an enforcement action to enforce his times of visitation. The attorney will be able to review the final order and learn more about the facts.

You shouldn't need to find an attorney licensed in both Idaho and Texas. An Idaho-licensed attorney should be able to file either an Enforcement or Modification action on your behalf. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.