Bayonne, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for New York

Q: My wife filed a bunch of faults police reports on me with her friend some how I got charged with a felony esdropping

Every report is faults I can prove every other statement is a lie but the esdropping charge I can't prove i have to go to Grand jury every report is filed by my wife and her friend. I have a public defender because I have a divorce lawyer I can't afford both lawyers. Don't know what to do about the false statements. Watertown NY police department don't care. My name was in paper almost lost my job, I just don't know what to do. Sorry this is so long I am scared and worried I might lose my kids and job. The statements are destroying my life.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sorry to hear what you're going through. If the reports that were filed against you were truly false, you might have a viable claim for defamation. Here's an article I found online which you might find helpful, Keep in mind that the statute of limitations for defamation lawsuits in New York is only one (1) year which means if you intend to pursue this matter you should speak with an attorney sooner rather than later. You can find an experienced defamation attorney using the Find a Lawyer tab on the JUSTIA homepage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.