Methuen, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: how do I get a case dismissed ?

I just received a letter yesterday for driving with suspended license ( which I didn't know was suspended ) because I had not received any notification stating that my license was suspended. I was stopped the officer October 2020 he took my license and he was the one that informed me of it being suspended, he sent me home and that was that. now I have received a letter stating that I have to appear in court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph B. Simons
Joseph B. Simons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you’re able to reinstate your license and retain an attorney before going to court, you may be able to get the case dismissed fairly quickly. It may even be possible to get the case dismissed prior to arraignment, meaning that the charge would not appear on your record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.